Saturday 7 March 2020

Top 10 Most Underrated Dark Souls Weapons Part 1: No's 10-6















Well, figured it was time for a new post of sorts and this one is based on more Dark Souls content and I thought I would do another weapons themed one and the theme this time is the most underrated weapons.

Now, for this list I will be looking at weapons purely from Dark Souls 1-3 and I will not include Bloodborne or Demon's Souls for that matter (mainly because I have never played the latter). So, given the vast array of weapons in these games it will be tough to narrow them down to the more underrated ones but I will certainly try my best to do so and they are of course based on my own opinions, so feel free to disagree.

Anyway with that said let's gear up and take a look at these underrated weapons of choice from the wonderful world of Dark Souls...

10. Butcher Knife (Dark Souls III)

So, to kick off we have the Butcher Knife at No.10 which is classed as a strength weapon and its one we have seen in the previous Dark Souls games but here its got its own little special skill, which I will mention below.

As for the Butcher knife in the game, you obtain fairly early on as you need to kill a madwoman to get your hands on it and after that you can go round kicking ass with it. As for its special skill I mentioned, this knife can be sharpened to allow more damage but not only that it can be used ro regain your lost health in a rallying way just like Bloodborne did. It also has a pretty nifty overhead smash for its strong attack, which is a nice change up from other weapons although this had always been part of its moveset.

You could however argue that the Butcher knife isn't really a true strength weapon as such as there many other strength weapons that can out-do it damage wise and despite its A scaling it doesn't quite cut it next to alternate options.

Despite this though, I still think the Butcher Knife is a very solid weapon in Dark Souls 3 and its cool added feature rallying health and the sharpening effect are nifty features that make it an interesting arm of choice and one that deserves the first spot on the list at No.10.

9. Iaito (Dark Souls)

So, at No.9 is Iaito from the original Dark Souls, which is a katana that can be found in the Blight town area of the game and even though I loath and detest going through upper Blight town in general, its still worth it to get this great weapon.

And the reason I see Iaito as being underrated is that it probably get's lost in a sea of so many katanas in the series with the likes of the Uchigatana and Washing Pole getting much more attention yet this one just has a pretty cool moveset which is very similar to the others but it does have a more unique foward quickdraw. The Iaito can also deal out some pretty nasty bleed damage (if that's your thing in Dark Souls) and I found it was tearing up even the likes of the Royal Sentinels on a high dex build making a pretty potent weapon.

In fact I would also say that the Iaito is the first and really only katana in the series I have taken to using in the Souls series with also maybe the Blacksteel katan in Souls II just behind. But for me this weapon just feels alot more satisfying to use than most katanas and I almost feel like its the go-to weapon for me alone when its comes to dex builds.

So, with that all said, I definitely think Iaito is a great and most underrated weapon in the series and one I would definitely recommend checking out in the original game.

8. Large Club (Dark Souls III)

So, at No.8 is the Large club from Dark Souls III and I put this on here because I loved using this in a recent strength build playthrough of the game and I also think it probably plays second fiddle to its bigger brother, the Great club but this is is still an excellent alternative. I also think the strength requirement for this weapon is also quite reasonable at just 22 strength and you can two-hand it around 15 (but I might be wrong on that but I was able to two-hand it at 15).

As for why this weapon for me is so good comes down to the moveset being pretty simple but very effective with its two-handed vertical swings and most fun of all is its strong attack, which is an overhead smash where you leap off the ground and perform the smash. I also felt that is weight requirement is fairly reasonable too at just 10 kilos in this game but the great club is only kilos more right enough. I also prefer Souls III version over the original Souls one because I preferred it not having a built-in effect, which it did in Souls I with poison.

In fact when I first played with the large club, I was looking for an ultra-great sword at the cathedral of the deep but decided to go with this instead and was glad I did as it was a better alternate for me at the time having never used the clubs much before this.

So for me, the large club is definitely an underrated weapon and sits comfortably on the list here as it offers alot and may not get the love it may deserve from the fans who would probably favour the more powerful great club.

7. Battle Axe (Dark Souls II)

So, at No.7 is the Battle Axe from Dark Souls II, which actually be obtained very easily in the game from Lenigrast the blacksmith near the start.

Now I have to admit I felt that the battle axe in the original Souls was pretty underwhelming simply because I didn't like the moveset as it was pretty basic and under-developed as were quite a few weapons in the original. However here, the battle axe's moveset has been much improved as you can now perform better slash attacks and it also has a pretty good downward strike as its strong attack, which is great for dealing with crawling enemies.

I also feel that the battle axe infuses pretty well with lightning and works well in cleric builds and I have often used it as that in Souls II as my primary weapon for faith builds. Also with the battle axe you get that pretty cool critical attack that is shared by clubs and maces and the player can push an enemy to the ground and finish them with an overhead smash (sorry if I sound like I'm advocating violence here!). I also felt that this weapon consumes less stanima than the popular bandit axe in the same game and of course its stat requirements are lower making it a bit more accessible to use  

So, while the battle axe might appear a fairly obvious choice of weapon, its not necessarily the most popular given the vast array of weapons to choose from but here the battle axe is as good as it ever was and it deserves it spot on at No.7.

6. Quakestone Hammer (Dark Souls III)

So, at No.6 to round off part of the list is the Quakestone hammer from Dark Souls III, which featured in the Ashes of Ariandel DLC. Now we all know the Ariandel DLC isn't the best regarded by any means but it did feature some pretty cool new weapons and among them was this beast, the Quakestone hammer.


Now, I have to admit I wasn't really previously much aware of this weapon until a recent playthrough of Dark Souls III where I did a strength build and was looking for a new weapon to try and this dropped from one the knights of Millwood and this thing basically can wreck just about anything! And I think its safe to say the coolest thing about this weapon (well just about) is its strong attack, which performs massive slam into the ground that causes a big quake that knock enemies off their feet! Combine this with the typical but pretty satisfying hammer moveset and you are onto a winner with this one.

Now, I do have to say that the only drawback for me with this weapon is that it cannot be buffed or infuse because of its special quake strong attack and as a result it can only improve with strength scaling, which in a way limits it a little. However, despite that I still think this weapon can certainly deal out some pretty solid damage all the same.

So, for me the Quakestone Hammer is definitely a weapon worth a look and if you are doing a strength build, then I would give it a go and it deserves its spot on here at No.6.

OK, so that's it for the Part 1 and I wil see you in Part 2...

Till then bye for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment