Saturday 29 April 2017

The Sopranos - Top 10 Favourite Scenes Part 2 - No's 5-1













So, now its time for part two of my look at the pick of my favourite scenes from The Sopranos and from here, this is where it get's really tough to decide as again there are too many choose from!  But anyway I will have to just do the best I can with this one and narrow it down to the final five, so here we go...

Oh and here a couple of warnings, first up....

SPOILERS ARE AHEAD

And....

Strong language will be also ahead!

5. Episode - Two Tonys  

Scene - A waiter get's in the way of Christopher and Paulie - "Go ahead, Paulie!  Your big fuckin moment!!"

Ok, so No.5 is this scene from the 1st episode of the 5th season (quite a few scenes from this season have made into this list!) "Two Tonys" and its a belter between Christopher and Paulie as their friendship hits a speed bump after they fall out when they were regailing the other New Jersey crew guys of the "Pine Barrens" incident.

And in the scene, Christopher has been left to pay a hefty tab at a restaurant for his fellow mobsters after having duked out of paying a previous one (which Paulie resentfully paid instead, so he's pissed off with Christopher for it).  So in the scene, Christopher walks huffily towards his car with Paulie not far behind, teasing him.

And Paulie says to Christopher "I'll tell you, after a meal like that, what I could use is a nice piece of ass.  Who knows, maybe I'll call down, have them send one up to the room!" and Christopher furiously says "Why don't you just fuck yourself?!  Save a little money!".  And as Paulie asks "What's your problem?!" Chris furiously says to him "Stop tryin to bait me, Paulie!  You wanna know the problem? Fine! Steaks, 3lb lobsters, the shrimp fucking cocktails you made everybody get!!! Then on top of everything else, you send those skanks a bottle of Cristal?!!!!" and Paulie angrily says "I was being a gentlemen!  You should try it sometime!".  And Christopher angrily shouts "Fuck you" and Paulie shocked says "Excuse me?!" and Christopher yells "You fucking heard me!" and Paulie furiously says "I'm telling you - I don't give a fuck who you're related to anymore!!" so Christopher shouts back "Go ahead, Paulie!  Go for it!  You're big fuckin moment!!".

And as the two of them are about to get into a physical fight, the waiter from the restaurant comes out and asks why they left such a small tip.  And as the waiter says "You think this job is easy?  I have kids!" and Chris warns him "Then go back inside before you get hurt!" but the waiter says "I have a goddamn family to support!" and Chris spits back "Fuck off!" and the waiter, disgusted says "Yeah, right!  Go piss it away on blackjack, you fucking assholes!!".

However as the waiter turns to go back into the restaurant, Chris picks up a rock and hits the waiter on the back of the head, who suddenly collapses and has a seizure, which carries on and Chris and Paulie look on, alarmed.  And Paulie looks down at the waiter saying "Chrissie, he's fucked up!" and Christopher says "Don't they have medication they're supposed to take, these assholes?!" and Paulie says "I don't know!".  And the waiter continues to convulse in front of them, so Paulie takes out his gun and shoots the waiter dead and he grabs the tab and they both do a runner with Christopher shouting out "That's my money, Paulie!!" before they drive off separately.

So its a great scene between Christopher and Paulie and one of their best in the show together that certainly rekindles the classic banter they had in the "Pine Barrens" episode.  Although the one thing that still bothers me about this scene is just how STUPID was that waiter for going outside and complaining to Christopher and Paulie about the meagre tab in the first place!!!  I mean these are mob guys!!  You think this douche would have figured that one out!  And its moments like that, that make the show a bit daft and absurd at times.

But despite that this is still a great scene and it deserves its place at No.5.

4. Episode - House arrest 

Scene - Junior is stuck at the sink - "You're flexing!!"

So, at No.4 is this hilarious scene from the 11th episode of the 2nd season "House arrest" where Junior has been stuck with his hand trapped down the sink for six hours but he is rescued when Janice and her fiance and New Jersey capo, Richie Aprile come in to visit him.

And the scene begins with Junior nearly in tears with dispair at having his hand trapped in the sink but then we hear Janice and Richie come in.  And when they see Junior, Richie says "Where have you been?  I've been calling you all afternoon!" and Junior angrily tells him "My fucking hand is stuck down the drain. And i can't reach the fucking phone!!".  So, Richie asks Junior "How long have you been standing there?" and Junior yells "SIX HOURS!!  Now get the fucking detergent and lubricate my wrist!!".  Janice then asks "Why didn't you call a plumber?" and Junior furiously says "With what, my FUCKING TOES????!!".

So Richie get's the detergent and starts to rub it on Junior's arm and he says to him "Relax.  Let it go limp" but he then shouts at Junior "You're FLEXING!  Let it go limp.  Limp!" and after a second Richie gives Junior a glare and says quietly "You're flexing" and he finally manages to release Junior's hand from the sink.  And Junior staggers away clutching his wrist and he dispairs "Oh, Jesus Christ!  This fucking house!  I'm dying here!".

Afterward they sit down and Richie gives Junior an envelope containing Junior's cut of the money they made on the garbage delivery routes but Junior looks unimpressed by the amount inside. So, Junior says to Richie "Its light" and Richie says "You've got your nephew to thank for that" and Richie tells Junior "I ran into him the other day at the garbage man's ball, whatever the fuck it is!  He said we can't seel coke on the route anymore".  And Junior, annoyed asks "What?" and Richie agrees, saying "I guess no one should eat but him!" Richie grins then says "You should have seen him in the golf outfit.  He looked like Wallace Beery!".

However Junior is infuritated by the news and angrily asks "How does he get the effrontery???!" and Richie says "He's boss.  Whether he has grand mals or not" (grand mals refers to seizures by the way!).  Junior then asks "And this shit is ok with you?" and Richie bites his tongue and says "I know how much you love him, Junior.  I don't want to say anything disparaging" leaving Junior looking somewhat angry and helpless.

So for me this is a very funny scene and its worth putting on the list alone for David Proval's delivery of the Richie Aprile line "You're FLEXING!" alone, which I'm sure he must get quoted to him all the time and as such it takes its worthy place here at No.4.

3. I dream of Jeannie Cusamano 

Tony has it out with Dr Melfi - "See, we're finished!!"

At No.3 is this scene from the 1st season finale "I dream of Jeannie Cusamano" in which during one of Tony's sessions with Dr Jennifer Melfi she tells Tony that there is the possibility that Tony's mother was behind the attempt on his life and that she suffers from borderline personality disorder.  

So in the scene, as Dr Melfi tries to state her case that Livia could have been behind the attempted hit on Tony, Tony says to her "Why don't we put our fuckin' cards on the table here? Wh- what do you think, my mother tried to have me whacked'cause i put her in a nursing home?!".  And Dr Melfi reminds Tony "In your worst dreams, a duck flies off with your penis - castration" and Tony tells her "Hey, my mother never went after my basket!".  And Dr Melfi continues "Look, ordinarily a patient is helped to make his own breakthroughs.But your life is in danger, so okay, i'm willing to put the cards on the table.  I say what your mother has, at the very least, is what we call borderline personality disorder!".

And Dr Melfi starts to read from one of her pscyhology textbooks the definition of BPD "Definitions of the condition? "A pattern of unstable relationships. Affective instability.  "It means intense anxiety, a joylessness. These people's internal phobias are the only things that exist to them. The real world, real people are peripheral. These people have no love or compassion. Borderline personalities are very good at splitting behaviour, creating bitterness and conflict between others in their circle....."

And at this point, Tony looks in turmoil with what Dr Melfi is saying but then he suddenly loses it and smashes Melfi's coffee table top and he pins her down in her seat and shouts "You twisted fuckin bitch!!!  That's my mother you're talking about, not some fuck up in attica stabbed you in the shower!! See, we're finished!  And you're lucky if I don't smash your face into 50,000 pieces!!".  Tony then storms out leaving a terrified Melfi to lock the door and she pushes the seat Tony was sitting in right up to the door to block anyone coming in.

There are plenty of therapy scenes between Tony and Dr Melfi but this one certainly stands out as one of the best and Tony's explosive reaction to Dr Melfi's suggestion of Livia having BPD is almost worth it alone.  However its also a scene where you actually feel sorry for Tony despite his angry reaction to what Dr Melfi says, you do realise that his mother never really loved him and that really sinks later on in the episode.

So for me this scene definitely is worth its place on the list at No.3.

2. Episode - The Weight

Scene - Johnny Sack wants to defend his honour - "What's next, does he get to fuck her for a MILLION??!!"

In the runner-up spot is this really funny scene from one of my favourite episodes "The Weight" in which Johnny Sack is furious when hears of a crude joke being made about his obese wife, Ginny, by the troublesome wise-cracking New Jersey capo, Ralph Cifaretto.  So in the scene Johnny goes to his boss, the New York crime family boss, Carmine Lupertazzi and he requests that he can have Ralph killed.

So in the next, Johnny says to Carmine "I want you to sanction a hit on Ralph Cifaretto" and Carmine looks surprised and asks "What are you fuckin kidding me?!" and Johnny says "He violated my wife's honour".  And Carmine asks "Ralph slept with Ginny?" and Johnny says "He insulted her. He made a very insensitive joke about her body to some friends of ours".  So Carmine asks "So, what did he say?" and Johnny, bemused asks "I have to repeat it?  My word's not good enough?!" and Carmine tells him "Not if you want him clipped over it!".

So, Johnny takes a moment and says "He said she was having a 90 pound mole removed from her ass" but Carmine looks blankly at him and Johnny explains "The implication was that her ass was so big that she could have a mole that size removed from it".  So Carmine says "Its an off colour remark, it was highly inappropriate.  If you want I'll demand he's taxed.  But clip him?" Carmine shakes his head.  And Johnny angrily asks "Is it all just about money?!" and Carmine says "I'll crack him good.  I'll ask for $200,000" and Johnny who is outraged angrily says "$200,000 for my wife?  What's next, Carmine?  Does he get to fuck her for a MILLION???!".  And Carmine confused asks "He wants to fuck her?" and Johnny shouts "I'm making a point here!  I'm talking about my wife's honour here!  MY HONOUR!".

However Carmine refuses to budge on Johnny's request and tells him "There's millions of dollars at steak.  We can't afford it, John" and Johnny angrily says "A room full of guys making fun of my wife and you're not gonna let me deal with this?!" and Carmine tells him "Not that way.  My answer's gotta be no".  So, Johnny instead requests "I want a sit-down then, with Ralph the fucking thief.
Get this Fernandez Paving bullshit dealt with!" and he leaves angrily.

This is another priceless scene from the show that actually displayed just funny The Sopranos could actually be and how one crude joke could have such dire consequences yet its the way the scene is played is what makes it so good.  And Carmine's reactions to Johnny's rage alone make it worth putting on the list, so I think it deserves it place in the runner-up spot.

And so as for my No.1 favourite scene from The Sopranos, it is......

1. Episode - Whitecaps

Scene - Tony and Carmela have their finest row  - "This last year I have been dreaming and fantasising and in love with Furio!"

Yep at the No.1 spot it would be fitting that my favourite scene from The Sopranos would be this one from my favourite episode of the show, the season four finale "Whitecaps".  And the scene sees Tony and Carmela just beginning their separation as Carmela learns of Tony's infidelities with the cousin of his former mistress, Irina (the cousin being Svetlana, who has only one leg).

And in this scene we get to see James Gandolfini and Edie Falco at the top of their acting games as the two of them have it out in the epic row when Carmela admits to Tony that she was in love with Furio.   

So in the scene Carmela says to Tony "Can I tell you something, Tony?" and Tony bitterly says "Don't pretend like I've got a choice!".  So Carmela tells him "The last year I have been dreaming, and fantasizing, and in love with Furio" and this makes Tony turn around laugh with bemusement.

So Carmela tells Tony "Every morning, when he'd come to pick you up I would look forward to it all night long, in bed next to you. Those nights when you were actually in the bed.  And he would ring the doorbell I felt like my heart would come out of my chest.  He would smile, and we'd talk. And then you would come down the stairs. And I felt probably like someone who is terminally ill and, somehow, they manage to forget it for a minute.  And then it all comes back!".  And this enrages Tony and he charges up to Carmela with his fist raised to hit her but he stops and punches a hole in the wall instead as she manages to move away from him. 

And Tony suddenly full hate and bitterness mocks Carm shouting "He'd talk to you!!  Oh, poor you!!" and Carmela yells back "HE MADE ME FEEL LIKE I MATTERED!!".  Tony then says to her "You asked me the other day what Irina's cousin has that you don't have. And I thought about it, because it is a pretty fuckin good question. She is sexy, even with the one pin gone, but that's not it. I COULD CONVERSE WITH HER BECAUSE SHE HAD SOMETHING TO SAY!!!".

However Carm points to herself and shouts "I'M HERE!!! I HAVE THINGS TO SAY" and Tony shouts back "Besides "Bring the chairs down?!!" and "Did you sign the living trust??!!" SHE'S A GROWN WOMAN WHO HAS BEEN KICKED AROUND HER WHOLE LIFE AND SHE'S HAD TO FIGHT AND STRUGGLE!!!".  And Carm spits back "Unlike me, is that it? WHO THE FUCK WANTED IT LIKE THIS?!! Who the fuck pissed and moaned at just the idea of me with a real estate license?!!!".  And Tony shouts back at her "Free to sit back for 20 fucking years and fiddle with the air conditioning and FUCKING BITCH AND BITCH AND BITCH!  AND COMPLAIN TO ME! TO YOUR PRIEST!!! FUCK IT!!!".

And as Tony angrily walks away having said (or shouted) his piece, Carmela get's her final say and she angrily says to Tony "Who knew, all this time, you wanted Tracy and Hepburn?! What about the thousand other pigs you had your dick in over the years? The strippers, the cocktail waitresses! Were you best friends with all of them, too?!! You fucking hypocrite!".  Carmela then walks out, leaving Tony furious (or Furio!) and considering her strong words.
So for me this scene from "Whitecaps" is my favourite from the whole series and it more than deserves to take the top spot here.  

Right, phew!  So that's it for from me for now, so I will be back again next month with more posts but until then I hope you all enjoy your May day bank holiday weekend and I'll see you in May!

Till then bye fer now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment