Friday 24 December 2021

5 More Great Scenes From The Sopranos


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Well, I figured I would get in a couple more posts before Christmas and I thought I would do another favourite scenes from one of The Sopranos as I have done two of these posts already. However, these scenes like the previous post, will not be in any particular order of preference but I will only be doing 5 scenes this time round and one post.

So, with that said let's take a look at my picks for the 5 scenes.

And I will issue another familiar warning:

PLOT SPOILERS ARE AHEAD!!!

1. Episode - Walk Like A Man Season 6 

"Chris you're in the Mafia!"- Chris's final meeting with JT Dolan

So, first up is this scene from the final season 5th episode "Walk Like A Man" where tensions are bubbling up between Christopher and Paulie over Chrissie's father in law's business being manipulated and robbed by Paulie's nephew, Little Paulie. Christopher also has been distancing himself from the others in the New Jersey crew by avoiding the Bada Bing club. 

However as tensions boil over, Christopher brutally beats up Little Paulie and Paulie destroys Christopher's lawn to get back at him but they soon bury the hatchet and share a drink together at the Bing where a drunken Christopher gets mocked by Paulie. Christopher feeling mocked and rejected, drunkenly leaves the Bing and pays a visit to JT Dolan, looking for sympathy he doesn't get much.

So, in the scene, Christopher turns up at JT's apartment and he tells JT emotionally "I'm losing it, man!" an JT looks at him and says "How much did you drink?" and Christopher says "I dunno, a lot!" and JT says "I'll put on some coffee. Call your sponsor" and Christopher "He's not there. Its an urban myth anyway!". 

Christopher then sits down and asks JT "What are you writing?" and JT tells him "Law and Order" and Christopher says to him "I could tell you stories that will make your fucking head curl!". JT however becomes very uncomfortable as Christopher starts to give away some mob secrets "I know things my friend, about Ralph Cifaretto, my fiance Adrianna". Christopher then says "One phone call and whole fuckin thing comes tumbling down!" and JT nervously says "I shouldn't be hearing this!" and Christopher then angrily says "Yeah, I know you just wanna leach off me and write about it!". 

Christopher then out of pity says to him about Tony and the others "I don't know about you but my friends have abandoned me! I have been ostrified!" when he means ostracized. Christopher tearfully then says "Even my father abandoned me!" and JT says "I thought he was shot". 

JT then impatiently says to Christopher "Give me your phone, I'm calling your wife!" and Christopher asks "What??" and JT tells him "I have told you REPEATEDLY I don't want to hear this shit!". Christopher the points at him and says "I let you be part of my movie" and JT mockingly asks him "You LET me??". Christopher then emotionally says "I'm pouring my heart out, man!" and JT sarcastically says "Well, I'm very sorry!" and Christopher says "Hey, we met in AA!" and JT delivers the fatal line "Chris, you're in the Mafia!". Christopher looks at JT for a moment and says quietly "Fine" and he makes to leave but before he does, he turns round takes out a gun and shoots JT in the head, who falls down dead. Christopher then uses his sleeve to close the door to JT's apartment as he goes. 

So, its a great scene and one with a shocking end that really comes out of nowhere, especially if you haven't seen it before. Its also one of Michael Imperioli's best scenes from the show as Christopher is both pitiful but loathsome all at once. Tim Daly is also excellent in the scene too as JT in what is of course his final scene of the show itself. 

2. I Dream of Jeanie Cusomano - Season 1

"You've been a good doctor to me! Thank you" - Tony warns Melfi to leave town. 

Next is this great scene from Season 1 where after Tony furiously storms out of session with Melfi after she suggests that Tony's mother tried to have him killed, he hears her voice on tapes recorded by the FBI. So, he goes back to Melfi to make amends but she shuts the door on him as she sees him. 

So, in the scene Melfi asks Tony "Will you give me your word that I won't be in a any physical danger if I let you in here" and Tony impatiently says "Fuck! Yes, you have my word!". So, in the next scene, Tony sits with his head in his hands, clearly feeling devastated by what he has learned and Melfi tells him "I have to say that I take no pleasure in knowing that I was right about your mother". 

Tony then tells Melfi "One of the reasons they tried to have me clipped is because I'm seeing a shrink" and Melfi tells Tony "You know that patient-doctor conversation is privileged, and I couldn't testify against anybody" and Tony tells her "Well maybe they know and maybe they don't". Tony then warns Melfi "You're in danger" but Melfi can't believe it and says "Get out of here! That's not fair!" and Tony says to her "Fair? What are you talkin about?! Oogatz! These people don't give a shit about fair!". 

Melfi then asks Tony "OK, what am I supposed to do?" and Tony tells her "Leave town. Today" and Melfi shocked says "I can't do that. Lam it. I have a life! I have patients!" and Tony says sarcastically "Tell them August came early" but Melfi annoyed says "It doesn't work that way. I have patients that are suicidal!". Tony says to her "Well, they aren't gonna much better if you get clipped!" and Melfi furiously says "Jesus fucking Christ!". 

Tony then says "I'm sorry, okay? I'm gonna work on this problem with the people that pose a threat to you, and I'll take care and you can come back". Melfi shocked then asks "My God. People are gonna get murdered, aren't they?" and Tony tries to reassure her "Don't about those distractions. You just keep your eye on the ball!". Tony looks at Melfi and says "I know what you're thinking" and Melfi angrily says "You have no idea what I'm thinking!" and Tony says "You're thinking of going to the cops but you can't give them anything! Don't be stupid. Even in the short term. Get the fuck out of town". Tony then gets up to leave and says to Melfi "You've been a good doctor me. Thank you" and he walks out. 

So, its another great, very well acted scene by both James Gandolfini and Lorraine Bracco, which has humour as well as drama with a funny reaction from Tony as he tells Melfi to keep her "eye on the ball" and not think about the potentials murders Tony will have to order to resolve his issues. So, its well worth putting on the list. 

3. Toodle-Fucking-Ooo Season 2 

"There's a lot I could say right now that I'm NOT gonna say!"

So, next is this scene from the 3rd episode of Season 3, "Toodle-fucking-oo!" where an outraged Janice finds that her mother, Livia's house has been trashed after Meadow has a party there, so she goes to rant about it to Tony and Carmela. 

So, in the scene, Janice angrily walks into the Soprano home and we see Tony sitting at eating his cereal as Janice says to him "You see what she did?" and Tony asks "What?" and Janice angrily says "That house is fucked!" and Tony looks at her and says "I though you didn't swear". Carmela asks Janice "What are you talking about?" and Janice angrily says "I'm outraged! I'm beyond outraged! Talk about disgrace! Disregard for other people's property. Its like a freaking shooting gallery over there!". Janice continues "Its smells like urine, there's puke all over the hardwood floors!" and Tony says to her "Sounds like your apartment in Venice!". 

Carmela then tells Janice "She's been punished" and Janice mocks her "Three weeks without a credit card! Madonn! That's some heavy shit there!" and Carmela warns her "Janice...!". Janice then continues "If it was my child..." and Tony finally snaps and knocks his cereal bowl off the kitchen counter and shouts at Janice "You know what?! FUCK THIS! You got a lot of balls, you know that?!" as he gets in Janice's face and Janice defiantly says to him "Don't talk to me like that!". Tony angrily says to Janice "Let's clear the air here! You're acting like some Vishnu-come lately, playing the concerned daughter, who the fuck are you kiddin?! You're just here to pick the freakin bones!". And Janice angrily says to Tony "You know there's a lot I could say right that I am NOT gonna say!" and Tony smiles at her and says "A lot of balls!" and he walks out leaving Janice fuming. 

Janice then fumes to Carmela "Temper tantrums! He's not changed one iota since we lived in Newark! Not ONE IOTA!" Carmela calmly warns Janice "You're passing judgment on him, Janice, on us as parents. How we discipline our children is none of anybody's business". Janice however continues "You let that girl walk over, you'll regret it!" and Carmela finally snaps "Mother of God, Janice! I asked you nicely to stay out of it, you pretend not to hear. Well maybe you'll hear this! Mind your fucking business and keep your mouth shut when it comes to my kids!! Alright?!!". Janice then goes quiet and says in a hurt manner "Maybe I've stayed here too long" and she walks off. 

So, its another great scene and the first one that really shows Janice's true colours in the series as well as the fact that she could go toe to toe with Tony in arguments and is a great performance by Aida Turturro as Janice. So, it easily deserves its spot here.

4. The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti - Season 1 

"Its called cowboy-itis!" Tony berates Christopher in the car 

So, next is this great scene from this episode from the 1st season "The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti" where Tony berates Christopher when Chrissie picks him up in his car about shooting a pastry clerk in the foot. 

So, in the scene, Tony gets in the car and punches Christopher in the side of the head and Christopher painfully responds "Oww!" and Tony angrily asks him "What the fuck is wrong with you?" and Christopher tells Tony "I haven't been feeling great lately" and Tony angrily says "Well, I wipe my ass with your feelings! Drive the fuckin car!". 

So, as Christopher, Tony unloads on Christopher loudly "We're under the microscope and I heard you shot some kid in a pastry store because he made you wait in line..." and Christopher says "Fuckin Paulie..." and Tony shouts "Don't blame fuckin Paulie! Nutley's got a make and description of the car, why don't you leave a fucking urine sample next time!". Christopher tries to talk "If I could..." but Tony furiously cuts him off and shouts "SHUT UP!! And Georgie comes in with vomit all over him and I ask "what the fuck??" and he said you were digging up some body from months ago..." and Christopher says "I was worried!" and again Tony tells "SHUT UP!!". 

Tony then angrily continues "You want to get caught!" and Christopher asks "I want to get caught?" and Tony angrily says "Yeah, I've seen it before! Its called Cowboy-itis! You wanna be a bad guy?" and again Christopher tries to explain but meets more fury from Tony who yells "SHUT UP!!!!". Christopher finally gets a word in and says "Can I try and explain here?" and Christopher becomes emotional and says "Its like the regularness of life is too fucking hard for me. I dunno". Tony softens a little and asks Christopher "Look at you. I bet you're sleeping all the time" and Christopher says "Its the only thing I enjoy". 

Tony then suggests "Look maybe you're depressed" but Christopher dismisses the idea and says "I'm no fucking mental midget!". Tony then also suggests "Maybe you've got a serotonin problem or whatever the fuck they call it!" and Christopher asks "You know about that?" and Tony awkwardly says "I say last night on a program" and Christopher says "Take Prozac?! Not this skinny guinea!". Tony finally asks Christopher "You ever think about..." and he mimes shooting himself and Christopher says "Fuck no!" and Tony says "Good! You seen those bunch of losers blowing their skulls all over the bathroom!" and two men laugh. 

So, its a pretty tense scene, which again is played brilliantly by James Gandolfini as Tony's anger rises throughout it and we also get to Christopher's vulnerability and this episode was the first to majorly feature Christopher in it as well. So, its certainly worth a place on the list. 

5. Cold Stones - Season 6a

"That pool cue, I wonder if it was chalked?!" Fat Dom foolishly teases Silvio and Carlo at Satriales. 

So, last of all is this scene the penultimate episode of the first part of Season 6 (or 6a) Cold Stones, where the outed gay New Jersey capo, Vito, is murdered by Phil Leotardo's men. And the next day, one of the men responsible for beating Vito to death, Fat Dom, turns up at Satriales pork store and foolishly starts to tease Silvio and Carlo who are there. 

So, the scene begins with Fat Dom entering the store where Sil is cleaning up the floor (with a dustbuster) and Carlo is cooking. So, Fat Dom says to them "There they are! The pirates of Prosciutt! The brigands of bracioll!" and Fat Dom hugs Silvio and gives him a payment and says "Game out in Canarsie. I appreciate the rollers you sent". Silvio then offers Fat Dom to stay but Dom says "No, I gotta stop by my daughter's in Mutuchen". 

Dom sits down with his paper and says of Vito "Hey, sorry to hear about your boy. Terrible thing!" and Sil tells Dom "Son 13, daughter 9 years old". Dom looks at his paper reading a sports result he says "Syracuse! Tanked again!" and he begins to tease about Vito "That pool cue, I wonder if it was chalked?" and Sil a back taken aback tries to brush it off and says "Very funny, Dom. Very cute. Not sure I get it but cute". Dom then teases some more "You know the autopsy revealed they found a 3 ball in his side pocket?!". Sil then says "You're on a run!" but then Dom starts to tease Carlo "They found hankie with Carlo's lipstick in his other pocket!". Carlo looks irritated but Dom smiles and says "I'm just breaking balls" and Carlo smiles. 

Dom then says "You're right I shouldn't laugh about a "tragedy". after a pause however he continues wind them up "That old homo actor, Ramon Navarro. He had an ivory dildo stuck up his ass when they found him". However even Sil is starting to get annoyed at this point but tries to hide it and says "You're pretty up on all this stuff, Dom..." and Dom clicks his fingers and says "Come to think of it...he was from Jersey too!". Carlo however is now becoming angry and asks Dom "What did they find up your mother's cunt?!" and Dom smiles, taking pleasure from riling him up. 

Sil then makes one last attempt to try and get Dom to leave politely and says "Time to hit the trail to Metuchen, what d'ya say?". Dom grins again and says "My mistake" but then takes it too far and says "Carlo's lipstick was on Vito's cock..." and Sil finally snaps and hits Dom over the back of the head with his dustbuster and he yells at Carlo "HIT THIS PRICK!!! HIT HIM!". However, Carlo goes for his chopping knife and makes to stab Dom and Sil shouts "Carlo! No!" but its too late as Carlo viciously begins to stab Dom to death, who falls back on the table dead, after this we hear Dom's phone ring tone go off and Sil angrily shouts "FUCK!" and locks the back door. 

Sil then tells Carlo "Call Patsy and them, tell them a pipe broke, we had to leave. We wait till the store closes and then we get him out" and Carlo says "Cut him up in the work area?" but Sil shakes his head and says "No more of that, DNA". Sil takes a moment and says "Ditch his car, get some biangeleen!". 

So, its another great scene, which features a shockingly violent murder that you don't expect to happen at the start of it but the tension builds brilliantly throughout it and Tony Cucci as Fat Dom also does a great job in the scene as he winds up both Sil and Carlo. So, its both shocking and funny at the same time, which again is something that makes The Sopranos a brilliant show in how it dealt with drama and comedy. 

Right, that's it for now and I will be back again with another post soon but in the meantime have a Merry Christmas folks and bye for now!

  

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment